Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Anna and the French Kiss {by Stephanie Perkins}


Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Series: Anna and the French Kiss #1
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend.
But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?

I was not expecting to like this book as much as I did. Sappy love stories? Not my thing. At all. So imagine my surprise when I found myself enjoying this. 

Anna has been sent to a boarding school in Paris her senior year by her father, who thinks she needs to be "cultured". She isn't very happy, as she has to leave her friends and almost-boyfriend, as well as start over at a completely new school her senior year. At the same time, she's slightly excited. After all, it's PARIS. Anna was a likable and realistic teenage girl. The thoughts and decisions she had were believable, and it was refreshing to read about such a normal person.

The book had substance, as well as being a light and fun read. I loved the relationships between the friends just as much as Etienne's and Anna's. The descriptions of Paris were detailed and made me insanely jealous, making it seem like a livable place instead of just a tourist attraction.

The only thing I would say I didn't like was Etienne drawing out the whole "I have a girlfriend" bit. Also, once Anna realizes she "loves" him, it goes downhill from there. She turns into one of Those Girls (We all know which ones I'm talking about). I realize that I'm pretty the only one who has these feelings, as everyone else I guess is too busy swooning over Etienne.

Still, I liked the book. It was a fun read, and I would definitely recommend it.




Stephanie Perkins:

1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to read this and still feel like the last person who hasn't read it! New bloglovin follower from the Feature & follow from last friday...still catching up! Here's my last Friday's FF post-hope you'll stop by!

    ReplyDelete